Friday, September 2, 2016

Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls

I decided to re-read the book since I knew that it was a tear-jerker, but more or less forgot everything else about it.

Well... I was right. It was a tear-jerker, and it's a good thing that I didn't have to go out today.

Ways to Live Forever stars Sam, an amazing little boy with leukemia. He has his best friend, Felix (who is like him), his sister Ella, and his parents, all of whom are dealing with his illness in their own way. Before he dies, Sam wants to complete everything on his bucket list, even if some of them seem impossible.

The story is part-text, part scrapbook, and I have no idea which is more heartbreaking. Perhaps the scrapbook, because there is one page that just makes me tear up every time I see it (not going to tell, because... it's hard to describe and spoilers and all that).

And yes, Sam does die, and the way that it was described was pretty heartbreaking too. Actually, the whole of the last half of the book was heartbreaking. If you didn't cry, then you have a much stronger heart than me.

Give this book a read. You won't regret it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^