Wednesday, September 7, 2016

How Not To Read by Dan Wilbur

I picked this book up because it seemed interesting, but sadly, the book's sense of humour and mine didn't jibe.

How Not To Read is supposed to be this satirical look at books, what makes them up and why you "should not" read. Inside are also 'better book titles', which is another way of saying "summing the book into one sentence or less".

I found the Better Book Titles part somewhat funny, but the rest of the humour of the book just fell flat for me. For the record, my favourite comedian is the Jim Gaffigan, so it's a pretty safe bet to say that the book's humour is not like that at all. It assumes that you've gone through a certain stage of life or have grown up or lived a certain way that is totally not applicable to me. I'm not an American male, nor did I have/do I have a very wild character, so a lot of the humour just didn't make me laugh.

I was hoping that this would be a new favourite book, given how much I read and how much I dearly love a laugh, but alas, it was not to be.

2 comments :

  1. That's disappointing. I don't fit either of those categories either (I'm not male nor have what anyone would call a wild character). I don't think this is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Luckily it didn't cost me much money, and I have a friend who's humour is closer to that, so I passed the book on instead.

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^