Friday, September 16, 2016

Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman

I'm finally back from my camp! It was totally fun, but extremely tiring. Anyway, one of the books I finished before I went for the camp was this Neil Gaiman book of short stories and it is excellent! Neil Gaiman really is a master of the short story format - he's kinda like Roald Dahl, where the stories are dark, disturbing and come with a twist.

I liked almost all the stories, but my especial favourites were:

- The Thing about Cassandra, which contained a twist that I did not see coming

- My Last Landlady: a poem, but one with a deliciously dark story.

- Orange: I didn't expect this format (answers to a written questionnaire) to work, but it did and it create an intriguing and self-constrained tale.

- The Case of Death and Honey: a fantastic Sherlock Holmes story, which very cleverly uses a dual story narrative (maybe it's dual-POV?) that eventually merged into one story.

- The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury: Neil Gaiman writing about Ray Bradbury, without actually using his name. Of course it's fantastic.

- Nothing O'Clock: a Dr. Who story, but one accessible and interesting even to someone like me, who hasn't watched the show before.

- Observing the Formalities: a fairytale poem. Enough said

There were only two stories that I didn't really get were:

- 'The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains...': I'm not sure why, but I didn't really get this story. It kinda dragged for me, and was only interesting towards the end.

- Black Dog: There was an interesting twist, but it came too late to me.

I guess for these two stories (which were on the longer side) the build-up was too long, and I lost interest before the twist.

Overall, if you're a Neil Gaiman fan, or just a fan of dark short stories, you should definitely give this book a read. You won't regret it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^