Monday, August 21, 2017

Little Monsters by Kara Thomas

This is exactly what I needed right now. It was thrilling and suspenseful and took my mind off work and thoughts of going home immediately. Little Monsters starts with the disappearance of Bailey. Kacey, the new girl in town, considers Bailey one of her few friends and her weird behaviour before the disappearance has her worried.

And then it seems like Kacey just keeps stumbling over clues. Is it a coincidence, or is there something more to it? The more Kacey tries to hide, the more she ends up finding and the truth may not be what she wants.

What made this book stand out to me was the fact that Kacey's chapters were interspersed with Bailey's diary entries which heightened the tension.

Kacey was a good character too. She was easy to empathise with and I liked her voice. Her relationship with her step-siblings were interesting and to the end, a bit heartbreaking. (Warning: the mystery is solved but it's not a happy ending) Even though Bailey provided a completely different picture of Kacey, I never believed that version. I guess Kacey's voice was just so strong that I believed in it.

While I wouldn't recommend this to younger teens (there is some bad language and mature topics are mentioned although nothing is explicit), I'd say that this book will be perfect for people who want to be scared (in a good way). The mystery is pretty solid, I like how the characters were developed, and the twist at the end was good.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

4 comments :

  1. Interesting... I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on NetGalley - perhaps it's still available for request?

      Delete
  2. Sometimes a good scare is just what we need, isn't it? This sounds like a fun one. I like the way you describe Kacey. And I'm curious how Bailey's version of her differs. Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read this - it is a really fun read!

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^