Monday, October 21, 2013

The Secret Keeper by Beverly Lewis

This was one of the most interesting Amish books I've read so far. For one thing, the protagonist Jennifer Burns isn't Amish, she's 'English' and her dream is to become Amish (she feels like she was born into the wrong century). The Secret Keeper chronicles what happened within the Amish community when she tries to join.

And woah. One thing that impressed me was that the book wasn't just about her struggle to submit, it was about how the Amish community reacted to her. And let me put it this way - even before she came, they had trouble. Rebekah, her mentor, 'lost' a daughter who is being shunned by the Church. Jennifer's best friend, Marnie, is torn between her fiancee and her strict parents. So as Jennifer tries to fit in, she finds out that the Amish world isn't the technology-free paradise that she hoped for. 

But that said, I was disappointed that the book didn't explore a few issues further. The topmost one was about Amish theology. I never though about it till this book, but what do they believe? The book talks about the 'hope of salvation' (I believe that I am saved once I put my faith in Christ), and it mentions something about the Amish children being discouraged from Bible study with a non-Amish (I'm very curious as to this applies to Bible study in general or just limited to non-Amish Bible study). I'm also wondering about how they plan to be the 'salt and light' of the earth while separating themselves.

But then again, this isn't a theology book. It's a novel, and it's a good novel. I recommend that you read it if you're a fan of Amish novels. 

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review. 

2 comments :

  1. Ooo! This does sound good. You've got me curious about Jennifer's attempt to join the Amish community and their reaction towards her. I know so little about the Amish. I'm sure you know much more, given the books you've read on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I read mostly fiction books about them, so I'm not sure how much is accurate. I think it's a really interesting book (and a good introduction) to the Amish though!

      ^_^

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^