Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

This book is the reason why I didn't catch the first half of my lecture. I started reading it on the train, read it on the bus, read it all the way till class started - and then realise I had 70 more pages to go. So in a rather uncharacteristic move (unlike what many people think, I have my reading addiction habit under control now), I decided to just finish the book.

Why was the book so unputdownable? Quite frankly, it was because of the mystery. You see, Cassie is a natural profiler (she can read people very well). And after her mother was killed, well, she's never gotten over it. But after she joins the FBI's program to train other Naturals like her (natural in statistics, in detecting lies, in reading emotions, etc), a serial killer (who might have killed her mother) comes after her.

And it was to find out who the killer was that made the book so irresistible to me.

Plus, every now and then, a very short chapter is presented in the killer's point of view, and that definitely made me very very curious. I was given all these little clues, and I still didn't manage to figure out the killer!

I think that the whole aspect of the Naturals was really interesting. I know that the whole power thing is a bit worn by now, but these kids, well, I can sort of believe them. What abilities they have are really just highly developed intuition after all. I mean, think about it, most staff on crime shows seem to have the same kind of intuition.

The only thing that I didn't like about the book was the love triangle. It wasn't insta-love (thankfully), but she was stuck between: a. Mr Broody and Emotional (who has a crazy 'sister' protecting him and b. Mr Sarcastic and Troubled. Basically, two guys who gave lousy first impressions (but are apparently very nice). I would have been so much happier if the book just focused on Cassie, her past, and her trying to settle in.

Hopefully this is a series, because I'm really looking forward to the next one!

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

2 comments :

  1. I just read it and didn't like it at all. It was all too predictable for me. Well, except the identity of the killer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I saw your review! I guess it's just a personal preference thing(:

      ^_^

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^