Monday, August 8, 2016

The Code of Love by Andro Linklater

My exams are finally finished, and I managed to finish reading this book as well! It's not a light read, but it's an interesting one.

The Code of Love basically has two stories: One of a mathematician trying to break a coded diary, and one of a couple during WWII. Obviously, the two stories are intertwined, and the diary is from Donald (one half of that couple), who wrote the diary as a Japanese POW. The diary was sent to the mathematician by his wife (other half) Pamela.

Let's just get this out of the way: the decoded diary is not very interesting.

But, I think the story is in how the diary was decoded, as well as the experiences that the two of them went through. While Pamela did stay safe in England, she didn't exactly have a quiet life. Plus, she's away from the guy she loves, even though the war (SPOILER ALERT) ended up damaging their marriage. (Woah, I just got P!NK's Just Give Me A Reason in my head all of a sudden).

As for Donald - like I mentioned, he was a POW, and that was not a good thing to be. Especially not under Japanese rule. It was interesting to see another side of the wartime experience (I did learn about the death railway and such in history class), although it felt very "white". I mean, set in Asia, but all "white". Still, it is primarily about one person, so I can't fault the book for that.

I think people interested in the "personal lives" of people who lived through WWII will enjoy this book.

2 comments :

  1. This does sound interesting. Stories set in and around World War II have always interested me. Maybe because my grandfather fought in the war--or maybe because of my dad's own love for history and that time period. I remember writing a report in high school about civilian Americans interned in Japan--there was very little information out at that time.

    Have you read Unbroken? I haven't, but I did see the movie. It's an interesting story about prisoners of war. Not quite like this one you read though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about the Japanese internment too, I think first through a book called Weedflower. It's a really sad story, though the war is sad overall.

      Nope, I haven't read Unbroken (I did a Goodreads search - is it the one by Laura Hillenbrand?), but I think my library has a copy, so I'll borrow it soon!! :D

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^