Friday, August 19, 2016

So You Want To Be a Wizard by Diane Duane

I read this book after a friend recommended it to me. Like she says, it's more science-fiction than fantasy, though there are elements of both.

Basically, the story is about Nita, a girl who is bullied. One day, she finds a book called 'So You Want To Be A Wizard' and presto, she becomes one. She also meets Kit, a fellow wizard, and Fred, a uh, thing from outer space (Fred is adorable though. Seriously my favourite character in the book). As wizards, they have to slow down entropy, but while chasing after Nita's pen, they end up challenging one of the darkest forces in the universe.

I thought the story had some inconsistencies, like Nita and Kit casting a spell to get her pen back even though the first thing she reads is on not to 'waste' magic. It seemed like she didn't grasp what being a wizard was. But that's not a very big quibble because it's not a fatal plot flaw (I mean, it's a bit too convenient since it launches the major events, but I get it).

What I thought was strange (and was probably my fault) was that I couldn't follow most of the second half. I read the first half in one sitting, and at the second, found myself completely unable to follow along. I'm not sure why though. Perhaps it's because of the science-fiction elements in what appears to be a fantasy book. Yes, I know it's SFF, but it's still rather strange to see the tropes mash, and the science-fiction stuff was definitely stronger in the second half (at least to me).

So I'm a bit conflicted as to whether I want to read the second book in the series. What I understood, I liked, but it wasn't a 'must continue' sort of thing for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^