Friday, August 9, 2013

The Language Of Sparrows by Rachel Phifer

I'm going to start with "THIS BOOK IS BEAUTIFUL!" I love the story, I love the characters, I love the language, I love everything about it!

Then again, this book has a polyglot for a protagonist. I wish I was a polyglot (I can only speak 3.5 languages, sadly). Well, even though she picks up languages at an astonishing pace, Sierra is this quiet withdrawn girl. One day, she makes friends with a cranky old man with a past and launches the whole book into motion.

Sierra's mom, April is the forever-cheerful, optimistic sort of person who is desperately trying to hold it together. Her cheerfulness just masks how tenuously everything is holding together, and well, she needs to let her sadness show.

The cranky old man is called Luca, and he was imprisoned in Romania. By a stroke of coincidence, his son, Nick/Nicu is a teacher at Sierra's school. And he's not just a teacher, he is one of those teachers that believe in his students and uses unconventional methods to get them back on track. Unfortunately, that puts him at war with the school's new principal.

From this four characters comes multiple plots (Sierra and Luca, April and Luca, April and Nick, Nick and Luca, etc). The interaction of two characters forms a different plots, with everything coming together to one lovely conclusion. Actually, I didn't notice how many plots there were until I tried to count them, then I realised that each interaction was its own story.

All in all, a lovely book. I recommend it to everybody!

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^