Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

I'm not sure where I heard of this book, but it a moving, disturbing read. I'm glad I chose to wait till day to read it (as opposed to reading it before bed) because I didn't want to put the book down. Plus, I might have gotten nightmares.

Living Dead Girl is written in a way that reminds me of the flow of conciousness (only in coherent sentences as opposed to fragments and made up words). Alice, the protagonist, is a defeated teenager. Ever since she was kidnapped by Ray five years ago, she has been broken and re-formed into the perfect doll. Her whole life is on survival mode, and she is so badly broken that you'd think she has forgotten her conscience.

While it would have been interesting, albeit disturbing, to simply just read about her attempts at surviving, Little Dead Girl creates conflict. You see, now that Alice is 15, Ray is getting tired of her and he wants her help to find a new Alice. And the scariest part is that Alice will help, because it means that she won't get hurt anymore - and she knows she will probably be killed after that.

I think that the fact that the book doesn't have a happy ending, unlike Room (which is also very good) makes it more impactful. And I suppose that the fact that Alice was very realistic (almost morbid) about her future was, I don't know, unsettling yet oddly real.

Basically, although this book is fairly short, you should give it a read. The subject matter is dark but deep.

2 comments :

  1. After finishing it in one sitting late last night, I'm still trying to catch my breath and desperately trying to get rid of the weight that seems to have settled on my chest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel(: The book seems to do that to you huh?

      ^_^

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^