Saturday, February 4, 2012

Illusion by Frank Peretti (ARC)

I'm not sure why, but all my posts seem to be very "gushing" lately. I think it's because I've been reading so many great books(: So get ready for another "gushing" post, because I'm going to review Frank Peretti's latest book: Illusion.

Illusion is a Christian-Science Fiction-Thriller-Romance kind of novel to me. It revolves around Dane and Mandy, a husband and wife magic duo, which was tragically cut short when Mandy died in a car accident. But to Dane's surprise, he sees a woman who resembles Mandy not long after, and this is the Mandy at 19. As for Mandy, she's very confused, having found herself in a disorienting future. Yup, this involves time travel.

I must say though, the science behind it is stretched beyond the limits, but I had some fun thinking about it. The use of a Machine to alter the timelines wasn't very novel, but Mandy's -mini spoiler alert!- ability to control was (I think. I don't read many Science Fiction books). But I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek humour when the characters commented that all these explanations were so confusing. Yes, that's exactly how I feel for quite a lot of books!

But what I liked about it most was how the characters maintained their faith. Mandy prays, Dane prays and it's so great to see them doing so. Plus, the fact that they maintain their integrity deserves respect. Let me explain; because Dane and Mandy were married, there's an attraction between the 60 year-old Dane and 19 year-old Mandy. But, Dane doesn't give in to temptation and I can happily say that this love story was kept clean at all times. Plus, it's a really touching love story.

The ending was great too. It was expected yet unexpected if that made sense. I knew there had to be a twist, but it wasn't quite what I expected, but it all turned out how I wanted it to be. Ok, that was confusing, no more talk about it.

Bottom line, this book is great. Although it has Christian themes, motifs and symbolism which I enjoyed reading, it's not "in-your-face" pushy (nothing spoils a book more than it being a sermon in disguise. Which explains the success of Narnia and Lord of The Rings). Plus, it's a very good alternative if you're looking for something other than the normal chick-lit romance, or even YA-romance (or for that matter, those thriller/chase-romances).

Disclaimer: I got this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my free and honest review.

2 comments :

  1. I loved this book! It is written in such an engaging way it is hard to put down. Peretti does a great job of mixing real life with just the right amount of science fiction that makes the story believable. His characters are well-developed and I really felt myself rooting for Dane and Mandy throughout the book. Peretti's knowledge of the magic industry really shines through and gives the reader an in-depth look behind the scenes. Illusion is a magical page-turner-really great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I loved this book too! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did. I thought that the story felt very realistic (Despite the vast improbability)

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^