Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Wrong Girl by C.J. Archer

According to this book, there's a girl looked in an attic in every gothic novel. So guess who our new heroine is? If you say "girl locked in an attic", you've got it right! So I guess that's the summary of the book?

Ok, so not quite. The heroine of this book, Hannah, has nacrolepsy while her friend (who's Lady Violet and thus her boss) has the ability of setting things on fire. Or so she says (She only sets things on fire when Hannah's asleep).

So one day, Hannah gets mistaken for Lady Violet, kidnapped, brought to a place which has the nickname Freak House and is expected to master her powers of fire. Only she's a narcoleptic. But (of course), there's this really cute guy and well.....

What I liked about this book was really the premise. But since she makes it clear she really wasn't locked in the attic, and she wasn't the one making an escape attempt, it was a bit of a let down. Because seriously, apart from the attic thing, this book really resembles a super-power YA novel.

What I didn't really like was the lack of resolution in the book. There are several mysteries (Why was she kidnapped? Why do so many people want to kidnap her? Why did Violet - ok, I'll stop before I write out a spoiler), but almost none of them get resolved in the end. I'm guessing there's going to be a sequel, but I would have liked it if everything was solved and then we had a promise of more to come.

Overall, this book wasn't as unique as I thought. It's still a fun read, but it's not going to blow your mind.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^