Thursday, March 28, 2013

Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott

I really thought this book was set in Ancient Japan. The sprinkling of Japanese words were used correctly, but some of the names and details felt off. Then I finished the book and found out that this is an alternative universe based on Ancient Japan.

All together now:

OOOOOHHHHHHH

But seriously, this is an excellent book. I always say that there isn't enough good Asian/Asian-inspired fiction about, so I'm glad to find more. Seriously, I haven't read the Katana series so I don't know if it's good, but I took one look at the cover, and the inner kendo girl in me forbid me from reading it. So if you know anymore books like this, please recommend them to me!

Anyway, Shadows on the Moon revolves around Suzume, who (after a series of tragedies), is convinced she doesn't deserve anything good and lives only to take revenge for her father and cousin. And since this is a re-write of Cinderella, her plan to achieve this is to become the Shadow Princess (main concubine) during the yearly ball.

What I loved about the book was its details. Apart from a beautifully written Japanese-inspired world, there was also this cool power about shadow weaving. The only "complaint" I have is that more time wasn't spent on the true nature of Suzume's power. But I suppose, a plot is essential to the book (and Suzume was trying to avoid the truth about her powers anyway).

The book can stand alone, but I hear that there's a sequel. I'll definitely have to look for it once I have free time. I'm actually glad for flight delays, because I couldn't put down this book.

2 comments :

  1. I loved this book! It was so dark and powerful, and the writing was excellent. Glad you enjoyed it.

    As far as a sequel goes, it's going to be set in the same world, but with brand new characters and based on Beauty and the Beast (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Debz

      Ooh, that sounds like a cool sequel! I hope I can find a copy

      ^_^

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^