Sunday, May 27, 2012

Book Blogger Hop #1

Book Blogger HopAs always, I'm not much of a meme person, but I am very intrigued by this week's question. Plus, I like the ethics behind this meme. So, this week's question is:

How do you handle the writing of a negative review?

Well, honestly, I try my best not to write negative reviews. I'm well aware of my biases, so I tend to stay away from books that I think I won't like. But since I've been getting more review copies to read (thank you NetGalley), I've also encountered more books whose blurb's and my expectations don't meet. In this case, I'd rather decline to review. If I'm getting a free copy, I don't feel good writing a negative review, so if I can't write a nice review, I'd rather not write anything at all.

There was this one time, however, where the book was sent from the author. In this case, I emailed him once I realised I couldn't write a good review and told him my reasons. Since I'd previously agreed to review the book, I asked him if he still wanted me to do so (but I won't write a nice review when I can't). Thankfully, he understood my position and let me back out.

But if it's a book I bought/borrowed, all bets are off. I may or may not write a review, depending on how infuriated I am with the book itself (and it's lack of logic/excessive swearing/etc).

Hmm... what about you? Do you prefer not to write negative reviews too?

6 comments :

  1. I like your idea of contacting the author if you don't like the ARC of their book. I haven't done this but may do so in the future. I get a lot of unsolicited ARCs that are of genres I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try not to accept ARC's I don't think I'll like but sometimes I'm mistaken.... (I hope you get more ARC's of genres you like though!)

      ^_^

      Delete
  2. I usually review only those books I can say something good about. If I don't finish a book because I don't like it, it doesn't get a review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has actually been happening to me a lot more often this year, when I've started getting books from NetGalley (I guess when I borrow/buy books, I'm more sure that I choose those I like).

      ^_^

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness do I LOVE your header. I am a typing/keyboarding teacher, and I taught on those wonderful machines when I first started out in my career. I like to ONLY look at them now. Sure am glad we don't have to use them any more. :)

    Authors are pretty nice about it when you find out you really didn't like the book. Stop by my blog if you want to see my full answer.

    NEW FOLLOWER

    Stopping by from The Book Blogger Hop.

    Stop by my blog if you like.

    A giveaway going on at my blog:

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-and-giveaway-of-story-of-west-by.html

    Elizabeth

    Silver's Reviews

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth,

      Thanks! I was quite surprised to find a typewriter lying about my house so I couldn't resist taking a photo of it. I'll definitely stop by your blog.

      ^_^

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^