Friday, December 14, 2012

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

After so long, I've finally finished the Hobbit.

Why oh why didn't I pick this book up sooner?

Being the topsy-turvy girl I am, I actually read a few commentaries/discussions on this before actually picking up the book (something I did with the Game of Thrones series. Thankfully, I care more for language than plot spoilers).

The Hobbit is the prequel to The Lord of The Rings series, and despite being a children's book, will probably appeal to everyone of every age. It follows Bilbo Baggins, who makes a small appearance in the first book, as he leaves his comfortable life to help Thorin and his twelve friends reclaim their treasure from Smaug the dragon.

This book is definitely lighter in tone than the Lord of The Rings series. It's mostly a journey of Bilbo moving out of his comfort zone, and becoming a more advenrous hobbit. And like the many books have said, there are definitely lessons to be learnt from here.

What I loved most about this book was the narration. Tolkien as a narrator had a very strong presence. It's kind of like Charles Dickens, or Thackery's Vanity Fair (check author) or Jane Austen. I don't really care about the narrator, but when they're this likeable, just listening to them narrate is enjoyable. There may not be quick plot progression, but who cares when it's so fun.

The ending though, felt a bit rushed. I don't quite understand why some characters seemed to have changed so suddenly. In fact, I felt like I was made to feel another way about another character. I hardly say this, but I think the confrontation scene between Smaug and the town should have been much much longer. Long enough for more characterisation.

All in all, a really fun read!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^