Monday, December 3, 2012

Lily's Plight by Sally Laity and Dianna Crawford (ARC)

I used to read books like this. Books about the American frontier (why though, is something I haven't figured out yet). So in a way, reading this historical romance felt a bit like returning to my childhood (I will never get over how old that makes me sound).

But unlike when I was a kid, now when I read, I keep thinking, "really?" I spent a good bit of the book wondering if the portrayal of the Native Americans as blood-thirsty savages were accurate. I don't know much (I've been Googling, but I still don't understand most of it), but I do think this is a fairly one-sided portrayal. Of course, there is the normal "we must pray for them", but there isn't any concrete outreaches to the Native Americans. (I did read on Google though, that there were missionaries).

The storyline itself is kind of strange. The conflict is that Lily is in love with her master (she's in indentured servant), who's beloved wife dies in the first few chapters. But the book is dragged out because John (the guy she's in love with) is away fighting and there are those 'injuns' attacking them while she stubbornly stays at the home ground.

Of course, I did wonder what parents would let their 12 year old son use a gun. I suppose it was a much different time then.

But it was interesting, and I like how there was some theological conflict, when they doubted about the use of prayer. It might come across as too preachy for some people, but I quite liked it. It managed to become part of the narrative quite smoothly.

I think, from what I glimpsed of her sisters lives, I would have enjoyed the other books a whole lot more. Particularly the one about her sister working for the rich, but blind boss. That sounded interesting.

All in all, not bad.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^