Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Song For Jordan by Mya Kay

Yes, I'm back with another book tour! This time, I'm really excited to be reviewing A Song For Jordan.

A Song For Jordan stars the eponymous character as a music-loving bi-racial teen searching for her dad. Personally, it was the music part that attracted me. And this book doesn't disappoint. I couldn't put it down, and finished it in record time.

Jordan is a very privileged and talented girl. She wears all sorts of branded goods and is so insanely talented (Piano and Voice) that she easily wows Chris Jordan (a famous artists she respects) and gets into his internship program easily. So then, what could go wrong?

Well, she has lousy friends. Her two "best friends" are racists and enjoy putting her down. Just listening to their insults made me so angry. If I was Jordan, I would have snapped a long time ago. I think it's because her friends aren't as rich as her (they always want to borrow her clothes), so they treat her as a lackey and get angry when she doesn't do as she wishes. With friends like this, you don't need enemies.

But she gets another one. There's Nelson, this guy she meets during the internship. Unfortunately, he soon becomes abusive. But Jordan thinks she loves him, so how can she leave him? That's another struggle she has to face.

In addition, there's also the whole searching-for-her-father aspect. While the reader knows who her father is early on (thanks to an omnipresent third person narrator), Jordan doesn't. And waiting for her to find out also upped the tension level.

So it seems like this lucky girl doesn't have it so good after all. With so much tension, how can you put the book down?

And now, I feel like adding a video/music. There are two songs that would work - The Lucky One by Taylor Swift, and Lucky by Britney Spears. Both talk about musical girls who, while appearing very lucky and talented, aren't as happy as they should be. Granted, the music is about Hollywood, but it'll do. Since I don't know if there's a The Lucky One MV, enjoy Lucky (plus, I really do love this video)



Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book thanks to Enchanted Book Tours in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^