Monday, November 25, 2013

Confessions of a Hostie by Danielle High

This was an extremely light-hearted book that I finished in two days. Like the title says, it's a real-life account of what it's like to be a flight attendant (loosely given narrative form with a sense of time), although partly fictionalised to make sure that the writer doesn't lose it's job.

And when the title gives away more or less what the whole book is about, I guess the only thing that people want to know is: is this book worth reading? My answer is yes.

I've always thought that flight attendants had a really cool job, and before I read this book, I thought it was glamorous. While I never wanted to be a flight attendant (which is a good thing, because I do not meet the minimum height requirements to be a SIA girl), I had a friend who at one point of her life decided that the best way to meet her husband was to become a SIA flight attendant.

But apart from that, I've always had fond memories of flying. Then again, when you've celebrated your birthday on board, and got petted because you were wearing a miniature version of the uniform, I guess it's pretty hard not to have fond memories.

This book, on the other hand, made me respect the profession even more. It showed me how hard the profession could be, and the kinds of terrible passengers that appear on planes. Sometimes, the situations caused by the passengers are down-right life-threatening.

One last thing that I appreciated, and which is pretty much unrelated to the writing or content of the book, is how the first chapter starts with the author flying to Singapore. It makes sense, considering that Changi airport is awesome and a fairly major hub (I think), and the scenes set in Singapore made me laugh and feel nostalgic.

Hey - that should be the next topic for the next big novel about Singapore. Someone write about the SIA girl!

Disclaimer: I got this book from the publisher via NetGalley for free in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^