Friday, April 6, 2012

Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan

I actually read this on the plane. But I was busy and I haven't had time to review. Until now.

Anyways, Faerie Wars is supposed to be the first in a series. It has two protagonist, the human boy Henry, who finds out that his mom is having an affair with his dad's (female) secretary; and the fairy boy Pyrgus, the Crown Prince who's more interested in saving animals. They meet when someone sabotages a portal and Pyrgus ends up in our world.

I have to say, it's an interesting take on fairies. The explanation is that they don't look tiny with wings, it's just that when they come through the portal, they become like that. This frees up room to imagine them as normal beings and not limited by the "delicate" stereotype that our childhood tales give us.

Plus, the storyline is interesting. It's a sort of dual-plot, but everything converges fairly early on. Henry and Pyrgus feel similar, so you imagine that they'd become good friends. And there's the right amount of skepticism when Pyrgus first appears.

The only characters that were annoying (I'm leaving out the bad guys because they are meant to be disliked) are Henry's mom and sister. Henry's dad is a victim, so that kind of overides whatever annoyance I may feel towards him. Henry's sister, in particular, I wanted to slap. Other than having some sort of irrational spite towards Henry, I don't see why she behaves the way she does.

Other than that... well, I didn't see the need for Henry's mom to become a lesbian but at least it wasn't mentioned very often. Just used as a plot device.

I shall be back~ (Hopefully soon)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^