Friday, October 7, 2011

An Update to Free of Charge by Miroslav Volf

I'm impressed.

I sent a letter I mean email, to Professor Volf yesterday, about my doubts about indiscriminate forgiveness and the law. To my surprise, when I checked my inbox today, I saw a reply. It's actually my first time writing to an author and I wasn't expecting to get a reply, especially since I wasn't sure if my email would be blocked by spam filters (I found his Yale email address). But to clarify things, here's his reply to me (my email to him was more or less the same question I was talking about in my last post.


"The issue that you present is not just a matter of the relation between the
two--the abused to the abuser--but also relation between the abuser and
others. The abused can and should forgive the abuse she/he had suffered, but
must love all the third parties who might suffer (and the abuser
him/herself) and therefore do what he/she can to prevent future abuse, and
do that both for the sake of the potential victims and for the sake of the
abuser. So yes, I think if the potential for future harm is there,
prevention (also via reporting to the police) is important. And in any case,
I do not think that personal forgiveness is incompatible in all cases with
prosecution by the state. Hope this helps."

If anyone was confused with the same things as me, I hope this helped clear it up too.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^