Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Grimm's Fairy Tales

I think I mentioned before that I was reading Grimm's Fairy Tales on my iPad, and I finished it!! The nice thing about reading fairy tales (or short stories), is that it's easy to put it down once you finished a segment, which is good since I can't spend all my time reading for fun.

And an added bonus is that from the fairy tales, some of which I've not heard of before, Euge and Sippy are interested in fairy tales. It started when I told Eusebius fairy tales as a bedtime story, and I guess Euge was listening as well, because then she began to request for fairy tales too! This is really fantastic, because fairy tales will really broaden your imagination, and their stories are more interesting than most of the shows/cartoons.

And from this, you can really see their characters. I was telling the story "Iron Hans" which introduces the plot through disappearing hunters. When I got to the end of the story, Sippy kept asking me about the hunters, and why the story had them if they didn't plan to talk about it in the end. This is actually impressive, it shows that he's analysing the story..... Maybe he's going to be a future Lit student(:

Some of the fairy tales her are familiar, some have a twist while others are completely unknown to me. I think it's really great, since it can improve one's writing from reading them (I hope).

And now, I'm thinking that after familiarising them with fairy tales, I really really want to introduce them to Chesterton, well, specifically, the Ethics of Elfland chapter in Orthodoxy. I think it's a good way to introduce them to an alternative viewpoint of fairy tales.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^