Friday, January 4, 2013

Revenge of the Castle Cats by Isabella Fontaine (The Grimm Chronicles #3)

- TV narrator voice- In the last episode/book of the Grimm Chronicles....

Alice collapsed from poison cuts from a mutated Frog Prince (and nope, surprisingly, that isn't a spoiler). So Revenge of the Castle Cats opens with a bang, as Briar rushes to get Alice somewhere she can receive help. Having read the last two books, I jumped into the flow straightaway, but for a first time reader, it might be a bit confusing.

When that's all and done, Alice is back to fighting the Corrupted. This time, it comes in the form of an app. Yes, an app, like that of Smurfs Village, Tiny Tower and the like. Meaningless but strangely addictive. But what if the addiction was affecting your life? For example, getting you to buy a certain product. Or you know, kill someone.

The Corrupted in this book are the dwarfs in Snow White. And there's a little twist. Well, I can only say that one of the dwarfs will become a recurring character in the later books. What I like about this book is that it's the book that shows very clearly just how integrated the Corrupted are into society. That makes them scarier/increases your paranoia.

In addition, Seth is going to play a bigger part in this book. Sadly, Trish's role will diminish. Well, I'm not that sad, I never liked Trish. I do like, however, that this book mimics a teen's life, where friends can come and go, but childhood friends will always stay. The book ends just as vacation ends, so from the forth book onwards, we're going to see Alice balance hero-duties, the library and high school. (Yup, the library is still there. In fact, there's a continuation of a subplot from the second book)

Start with book one, and keep on reading! This is a series you'll love(:

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of the book from the authors in exchange for a free and honest review.

3 comments :

  1. This installment was really intense. My only complaint was that Seth didn't seem entirely qualified for the role he played. I thought he mentioned earlier that he had JUST started learning about programming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. It doesn't gel, but I guess they really needed it for plot purposes. He doesn't mention this after this book either....

      But overall, I loved the book ^^

      Delete
    2. Maybe he figures the fewer skills he has, the fewer times he'll be called to use them against monsters. :p Actually, I assume he becomes sort of Alice's partner after this, but I haven't read past this story yet.

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^