Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Accidentally Amish by Olivia Newport

I think it's no secret that I quite like Amish-related books. There's something about the simplicity and utter disconnect from the world that appeals to me. And if you remember, some time back, I reviewed the fustrating yet addictive book Temptation (link to review!). Well, this is like that - English and Amish.

But so different.

For one thing, Annie (Analise), meets Rush (the Amish guy) when she stows away while running from a terrible lawyer (yes, lawyers are THAT scary). After a few misunderstandings, he helps her, and somehow, they meet more often and often. The more she sees him, the more intrigued she is with the Amish lifestyle, and the more she starts to fall in love with him (Difference #1 - It's no instalove)

Intertwined with this plot, is Difference #2 - the subplot. Annie finds out that they're very distantly related (like, they had a common ancestor a few hundred years ago). So the book flashes between the now, and then, when the Amish first came.

And in both plots, the tension between the Amish and the English way of life was present. It actually led to me consider - how Christian is the Amish lifestyle?

Before you start firing bunches of angry comments at me, let me explain.

As I understand it (but correct me if I'm wrong. Like really, false premises will never give true conclusions), the Amish are apart because they believe that they're are "chosen race" (First Peter 2:9), and to avoid loving the world (1 John 2:5, James 4:4). But if I am right, we are also called to be the Salt and Light of the world. For what use is salt if it loses it taste? It is thrown out. How does separation let one be the salt of the world? It's like being a lamp hidden in under a bushel.

If anyone knows the answer, please comment. I'm really interested in this.

In addition, this book is a very good introduction to the Amish lifestyle. It explains why they don't adopt morden technology (well, they're reluctance to adopt technology is a better word). The comparison between Annie and Rufus's lives really drove home this point.

This book is definitely a series. But the cliffhanger isn't very terrible.

Definitely a must-read for fans of Amish fiction

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

2 comments :

  1. I am not too familiar with the Amish other than what I've seen in the media. I am fascinated by the culture just the same, how simply they live. This sounds like an interesting book (and series). I am glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!

      The book is one of the best Amish-related novels I've read so far ^^

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^