Monday, January 21, 2013

Celebrating The Journey by Ashley Hill

I think this book is being marketed wrongly. Ok, I've gotten the worst out of the way, now let me explain why.

This book was marketed at those going into university. But to me, this book is really more for those in abusive relationships. This memoir follows Ashley as she struggles in her marriage  She talks about the early days, where she didn't see the red flags, and the struggles it took to get back on track. It's true that the pivotal point was her university education, but that came into the book around the eighty page mark, and this book is about a hundred and twenty pages long.

Apart from sharing her life story, Ashley also placed worksheets at the end of each chapter, so that you can chart your own progress. I think it's a good idea, and it seems like there's enough space to write. She also shares candidly, about her feelings (and where it was her fault), her therapy, and much more. It was a really moving story.

I just wish there was more on the university experience. I read that she met her husband when she was an undergraduate, and her graduate studies was a pivotal time in their relationship. But even so, the book is centered around her marriage, not her university experience. If you're reading this book hoping to learn about how your seniors managed university, and what they experienced, you may be disappointed.

Let me just make it clear again. I really do like this book, I think it's a great self-help book that effectively uses the medium of a memoir to deliver its message. I just wish that it wasn't marketed as a book for university students; in my opinion, this is for those in a relationship/considering marriage.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review as part of the Enchanted Book Tours program.

2 comments :

  1. Sounds interesting. Thank you for the review!

    Marketing is a tricky business. No matter what, you can never do everything right.

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true.

      But I think at the end of the day, content is still the most important ^^

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^