Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers

If the Folio Society (my current bookish obsession) ever does a print of A Voice In The Wind, I will join their membership straight away and get it. I first read this book when I picked it up by chance in the library, and I love it so much. It's a wonderful story that I couldn't put down. Literally, I was walking everywhere with my iPad (more than usual, I mean).

A Voice in the Wind follows Haddassah, a Jewish-Christian who becomes a slave in a Roman household.

One thing I noticed upon this re-reading is that the Roman world resembles ours a lot. It's uncanny. For example, the acceptance of homosexuals. And Cabalah's arguements for abortion (like how it's a symbol for life, not life) sound like what a lot of people say. But if it's right to do, why is it "natural" for women to feel guilty and depressed after an abortion? You don't feel guilty about things that are right.

Which makes this book very encouraging, showing me that it is possible to be different from the world without outwardly rebelling. Haddassah affects everyone through the way she serves, and that is the best possible testimony she could give. She's is, basically, the perfect slave. One character puts it really well, "[another character] obeys", but "Haddassah serves".

And isn't that what we're called to be? To be servants of Christ. This is definitely not a textbook, but it's definitely a model as to what it means to be a true servant. Haddassah serves a pretty spoilt/evil mistress, but she does make a positive influence.

Haddassah's not even the Christian version of a Mary Sue. She struggles with her faith (and her seeming lack of it) and her emotions. It reminds me of Mother Theresa, whom, if I remember correctly, also struggled with her faith. Yet, both ladies (real and imagined) are some of the greatest servants ever.

A must-read for anyone who's a fan of Christian fiction. In fact, it's a must read for anyone who loves a good story.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review. I've always been a fan of Francine Rivers, so the fangirl reaction is to be expected.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^