Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Teaser Tuesday - The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

It's Tuesday, so it's time for Teaser Tuesday! It's also the deadline for the Coursera course on Science Fiction and Fantasy, and I just handed in my paper, less than two hours before the deadline.

The Martian Chronicles is a beautiful, but strangely sad book by Ray Bradbury (at least, it is to me). Bradbury once described it as something like a set of stories that aspire to the status of a novel, and it really is.

Without further ado:

The rockets set the bony meadows afire, turned rock to lava, turned wood to charcoal, transmuted water to steam, made sand and silica into green grass which lay like shattered mirrors reflecting the invasion, all about. The rockets came like drum, beating in the night.

This quote is from the one page (on my tablet) story, The Locusts.


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read 
  • Open to a random page 
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page 
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!) 
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

4 comments :

  1. I haven't read The Martian Chronicles since I was in school - a long time ago! Great teaser. Here's mine for this week: http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/2015/12/teaser-tuesdaysfirst-chapter-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic sci-fi! I read this many years ago and enjoyed it. Time to read it again. I wonder if it's still on my bookshelf somewhere.
    My Tuesday post features the Rawhide ‘n Roses anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good, Eustacia! I haven't read this one, but I have been wanting to. I have only read one Ray Bradbury book and really liked it. In wonder if my husband has a copy . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you definitely should give it a go!! I really enjoyed it :D

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^