Wednesday, March 30, 2011

True Colours (Kristin Hannah)

This is the third Kristin Hannah book that I'm reading in a row, and I really love them. This one is called True Colours, and it's another "big" story, in terms of time span, and I suppose themes, since it talks about love and redemption.

Again, I can't help but be in awe at how her books are so similar, but don't feel similar. It's the excellent characterisation, I think. There are characters which you may easily, instantly, sympathise with, and there are characters you may dislike at first and root for later. And there's always a character you're deeply suspicious of and well, you may or may not be right.

The ending, while happy, isn't tidy by any stretch, since one rather crucial issue remains unresolved. But I do have the feeling that if she were to continue writing til everything was settled, she'd have a book that's too long to read, and by then, there probably be more plot issue.

The only thing that I don't like about the three books so far is how the blurb doesn't seem to correspond with the story itself. I can only guess that they read the initial drafts, or didn't read it closely. But that is truly a minor issue, because the book speaks for itself.

2 comments :

  1. Kristin Hannah is very descriptive in her storytelling. You can imagine the settings and the feelings as if you were there. I read Firefly Lane just before True Colors and could not put it down. True Colors was very well written and the description of settings and characters was fabulous.
    I love Kristin Hannah's style because she puts you in the story with the characters. True Colors was original and especially interesting because she has a very true picture of how sisters talk to each other and how they feel about each other. She depicted a very close knit family with all the real things that can take place and be felt between family members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! The review is really short, but like I said, I loved her characterisation(:

      Thanks for the comment, I'm glad to see another Kristin Hannah fan~

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^