Thursday, November 17, 2016

100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings by Sarah Cooper

A fun, short book that does what the title says. Some of the tricks include:

#39: When someone asks a question, look at the person who you think has the answer.

#57: Say "That's a great question" before you avoid each question.

#82: To get out of a conversation, say you have some people waiting on you.

Each trick comes with an explanation on exactly how it's going to go down, plus an illustration. There are also sections like "famous meetings throughout history" (I found this very funny), "Advanced meeting power moves to get you promoted (or fired)" as well as what to do at business dinners (those are the last ten tips). And of course, the book also 'teaches' you what to do after a meeting to appear smart.

I think it would be better to read this a little at a time, because reading it all at one go will probably make the jokes at the end seem unfunny. After all, it's just variants on the theme of "how to pretend to look productive without actually doing anything."

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

4 comments :

  1. I'm definitely reading this one. The trick of looking at the person who has the answer is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh darn it, just ordered it on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading it already. I'm lol but will definitely apply some of the tricks.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^