Monday, April 24, 2017

A Clockwork Murder by Steve Jackson

I managed to get the weekend off (not so much "get" as "was lucky to be given the weekend off") so I celebrated by finishing a book on Friday! Luckily for me I had a place to sit and read while my friends browsed BookOff and I tried to practice self-control(;

A Clockwork Murder is a true-crime book about the murder of Jacine Gielinski. She was brutally raped and forced to hear her killers discuss how they would kill her before she finally died. It was a slow, painful death and the worst part is that she was randomly chosen.

Thankfully, her killers were caught almost immediately and couldn't carry out any more crimes. Not thankfully, it took over 3 years before Jacine's parents got any closer because despite the fact that both of her killers confessed, their defence attorneys still tied the whole thing up in paperwork. And perhaps most despicably, tried to manipulate her parents into giving up.

Both of them were found guilty but they did not get the death penalty in the end.

And the relationship between the two killers was... really odd. Her killers were these two guys called Lucas Salmon and George Woldt and they had an extremely dysfunctional relationship. George was violent and sadistic since young, and though Lucas was his opposite and constantly humiliated by his 'friend', he still did all he could to keep in George's good graces.

Overall, this was a really good read. There was one part where I thought the book was starting to lag (we were going into a bit too much detail about the lawyers for my taste) but it soon got back on the trial and I found myself reading all the way to the end.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

2 comments :

  1. Self-control when it comes to book buying is a real challenge. :-) I am glad you were able to finish a book on Friday, taking advantage of your weekend off. I rarely read true crime, although it has happened--and likely will again. I am not familiar with this particular crime. It sounds horrible. I am glad the killers were caught and convicted. It sounds like there were definitely interesting dynamics taking place throughout the trial and between the two killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dynamics were definitely not normal. The trial was pretty heartbreaking, especially for the parents of Jacine. I can't even begin to imagine what they had to go through.

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^