Friday, October 14, 2016

Only Daughter by Anna Snoekstra

Only Daughter is an intriguing and gripping book that kept me reading till the end to find out what was going on. Basically, our unnamed protagonist gets caught shoplifting, and in an attempt to get out of trouble, lies that she is Rebecca Winter, a girl that disappears eleven years ago. Somehow, the family accepts her claim, and she goes back to live with them. At the same time, the book alternates the protagonist's present with Rebecca's past, showing the days up to when she disappeared, and the increasing sense of fear that she felt.

I must say, the need to find out what happened was so intense that I had to finish this in one sitting. And I completely got the culprits wrong, even though I guessed at it a few times. 

The protagonist was an interesting character. She sort of reminded me of the protagonist in Method 15/33, in that she was constantly trying to figure out a solution and how to manipulate others, but she does not have the gift of turning off her emotions, and I think the protagonist in Method 15/33 was a much better manipulator and planner in general (although the protagonist in this book managed to keep the police in the dark for most of it, which is pretty impressive). 

I'm also pretty sure that there was something other than the mystery, like with the protagonist and Rebecca's best friend (Lizzie's) brother Jack, but to be honest, at the end when she was talking about what happened to Jack, I only had the vaguest idea. I guess I was just too caught up in the "what happened to Rebecca" mystery that I ignored everything else. 

This is a creepy, disturbing book and you should only read it when you have a stretch of spare time ahead of you.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.  

5 comments :

  1. You've sold me on this book, Eustacia. It sounds riveting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read it! It was very absorbing!

      Delete
  2. I hate this! I hate this! 3 comments and none is showing up. Have I messed my account up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's Google's fault :p Hope you enjoy the book(:

      Delete
  3. I fixed it! Now I can order this book in peace :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^