Wednesday, October 12, 2016

A Forest of Wolves by Chelsea Luna

There's normally a gap between the time I request a book on NetGalley, it's approved, I download it and when I finally read it. The time lag tends to be rather long, so sometimes, I get rather confused.

Thought one: Did I accidentally request a paranormal romance book? (The word 'Wolves' threw me off) Ans: no.

Thought two: Why do I feel like the book is recapping stuff? *Checks Goodreads* Oh, it's a book 2.

Once I got those two thoughts out of the way, I really enjoyed the book and finished it in one sitting!

Basically, Mila is a Duchess who's on the run with her boyfriend after being forcibly married off to some other dude. Her boyfriend's the leader of the Protestant uprising and Mila's Catholic (which becomes more awkward when she reads her dead mom's letter).

The book revolves mostly around the letter Mila gets from her mom, so I won't spoil that for you. Revolution-wise, not much happens, though there is fighting and character death involved.

I really liked Mila and Marc (her boyfriend). Their relationship is already quite established, though it has their ups and downs. What I like, though, was that it wasn't overly dramatic and that Mila does have a mind of her own.

Story-wise, I would have liked a little more progression with the revolution before the story ended, but since quite a bit happened to Mila and Marc (not to mention that one explosive revelation), I'm mostly fine with how it ended.

While I had little problems enjoying the book (because of the recap), I think new readers should start with book 1. For me, I'll be looking forward to Book 3.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of the book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

2 comments :

  1. The cover and title do have a paranormal romance look/sound to it. :-) I'm glad it wasn't for your sake though. This sounds like something I might enjoy--although I think I'll start with book one.

    (I hate it when I find myself reading a second or third book in a series without realizing it, especially when it matters.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree! If it wasn't a NetGalley book, I might have put it aside until I got book 1 :p You should give it a go, I think you'd like it!

      Delete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^