Wednesday, May 1, 2013

First Term at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton

I used to want to go to boarding school. Then last year, I moved into a dorm.

Don't get me wrong, dorm life can be fun, and I do miss it. But I realised that my longing for boarding school was mainly due to Enid Blyton. Enid Blyton and the Naughtiest Girl books. It's a good thing I didn't read First Term at Malory Towers (or at the very least, didn't own the books), because I would have wanted to attend boarding school even more had I read this when I was younger.

And yes, Enid Blyton is dated. She writes about a time that was either before I was born or while I was a little kid. (And yes, my love of trains probably comes from her too! Yay to finding out your childhood influences!) I'm guessing that kids today may not like her boarding school books - they may be too boring. When you're hooked up to the internet, I have a feeling that the Enid Blyton books that have the most hope of appealing to kids nowadays would be The Five Find-Outers (and all other mysteries - mysteries are classic!) and maybe the Far-away Tree.

In other words: this is for nostalgic people trying to look back at their childhood. Like me.

Oh yeah, time to talk about the story. First Term at Malory Towers is the first in the Malory Towers series of books about Darrell (check sp), a new girl at Malory Towers. She's a good girl at heart, but she can be unkind and she does have a temper on her. So there isn't so much a plot as a book detailing the first term and what the girls go through (hence the title).

I love this. This is my childhood!

1 comment :

  1. As a child I too wanted to go to boarding school. I thought this would be the ultimate school experience...also thanks to Enid Blyton.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^