Friday, May 17, 2013

Bonnie's Story by Janis Hill

Since this book is subtitled "a blonde's guid to mathematics", I thought it was gonna be one of those books that explain math in simple terms. But I was wrong - this book is a novel centered around maths.

And it's not science fiction.

Now that your minds have wrapped itself around this concept, let me get on with the review. To put it bluntly, this book is actually pretty good. It doesn't have any actual maths in it, but it's definitely entertaining.

But the reason I like this book is because of Bonnie, our lead character. She becomes the token girl in a group of geek guys (ok, there's another girl called Clara, but she's actually smart and science-orientated), which is something I could totally relate to. You see, I used to be the only girl in an all-boys robotics club, and was also the token girl (after two years, the only thing that I've learnt was how to clone a simple (part of a) robot. I can't program (I tried in Primary School and it failed), and I probably never will.

In fact, I acted like Bonnie - bossing people around and making them clean up the place. Hmmm.... I wonder if that's what all token girls do.

Well, Bonnie does turn out to have a special gift, but it's not that related to science. And well, since the book is called Bonnie's story, it's basically about how she met her boyfriend Rogan (and by extension, all those science people) and well, a problem that faced them (mind-controlling people after technology that could take over the world. As Kim Possible says "no biggie" - wait, does she say that? I don't know)

Even if you're not a science/math person, you will probably still understand this book. The only thing that you need to enjoy the book is a liking of humour and romance.

Side note: There's nothing explicit in this book, but there are references. That means that I wouldn't recommend this to kids or pre-teens/young teenagers.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

1 comment :

  1. Hi Eustacia, thanks for the comments. "Bonnie's Story' will be available 15 June from Kobo, iTunes, Amazon, etc etc. In the meantime it is available for pre-order from www.haguepublishing.com.

    Andrew Harvey
    Hague Publishing

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^