Monday, January 6, 2014

Wall Street West by Dr. Cristina Guarneri

So much wasted potential. That's all I can say for the book.

I was invited to read this book, which was described as a "multi-layered story that follows a Goldman Sachs equities trader, who leaves the comforts and success of the financial world for a journey into the unknown." And then, he ends up running for mayor and fighting corruption and stuff. Sadly, the ARC I got from NetGalley can only be called an outline.

Why?

For one, it was really short. 97 pages on my iPad, using the Bluefire reader app. And trust me, the time-span is quite long - there's at least one election, there's an anti-corruption drive, there's some political intrigue in the capital, the amount of info was enough for a three or four hundred page novel.

And because it was so short, the book was lacking in characterisation and details. It's basically a bunch of conversations. It's a pity too, because if the characterisation was done right, this could have been a powerful story about an underdog fighting for justice in a corrupt world.

Basically, the only thing I can say is that it's a pity. I liked the premise and plot of this story, but it's nothing more than an outline now. If it's rewritten and expanded, I'll definitely pick it up, in hopes that it develops into the story it deserves to be.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^