Monday, April 4, 2016

Sabriel by Garth Nix

My first book for the Once Upon a Time X Reading Challenge is done! My first is a fantasy book, and for that, I've chosen Sabriel by Garth Nix, which I think is practically a classic. I've actually read bits of this book before, I think. The cover is really striking, which is why I remembered it. I was in the NLB and flipped through it, though for some reason, I put it back. After all these years, I've finally picked it up and read it.

It. Is. Amazing!!!!

Can't believe I didn't read this earlier!

Anyway, Sabriel is the titular character, and the next Abhorsen. The Abhorsen is basically someone that puts the dead to rest, although Sabriel doesn't really know it's an inherited name. But one day, she finds out that her father is in death, which means she has to assume his role. Rather confused (as is natural), she travels into the Old Kingdom, finds her home, and then goes to rescue her father with Mogget, a free magic construct, and later, Touchstone. Of course, things are never as easy as 'rescuing your not-quite-dead father from death', and Sabriel finds herself being chased by something serious. Something that she may not be able to handle.

I don't know why, but my favourite part of the book, apart from Sabriel, are the bells! I guess it's because each bell has their own character. And the idea of sound working magic is cool too.

Speaking of Sabriel, she was a perfect protagonist. Not perfect-perfect, as in Mary Sue character, but perfect as in "I love her why did the book end?" kind of perfect. She starts of as a smart young lady, but with only theoretical knowledge about what she has to do. The book is basically her gaining the experience, and how that's going to shape the Abhorsen she becomes. I just loved seeing her journey, and I was rooting for her from the start.

I would totally recommend this book to any fans of fantasy. I'm so glad that I took up this challenge, because it got me to finally read this book. And when I have time, I shall hunt down and read the others in the series. And a quote to end:
Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?

3 comments :

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed this. I borrowed and read this a few years ago, and loved it! I have just bought myself my own copy so I look forward to a re-read. I originally read the 2nd book, Lirael, too but never got round to the 3rd book, Abhorsen. I am hoping to re-read and finish the series this time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, now I can't wait to read Lireal! I should look at my TBR and see what can be bumped down :p

      Delete
  2. Apparently Garth Nix is writing a new novel in this series! I'm psyched.

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^